How to Write a Movie Review
Writing a movie review is just like making your own trailer. If you like the film, then your review should be something like convincing the people to watch it. But if you don’t like it, don’t make it sound like you’re discouraging people to watch it. Instead, show why the movie did not appeal to your taste. In other words, there’s no need for you to explain why you like or don’t like the movie. Let the readers have their own impression of the movie based on your description or what you have written in your review. So to find out how, here are the tips on how to write a movie review.
Movie Review Writing Guidelines
- Before you can write a movie review, of course you have to watch the movie first. When you watch, make sure to note everything of importance. It can be the actors, the acting, the costumes, the makeup, the setting, the music, the cinematography, and the lighting.
- Remember to gather the basic information about the movie. This includes the title, director, actors, the film genre, the setting, as well as the plot overview.
- Identify the impression you get after watching the movie – how the events of the story were presented, how the director was able to present the movie, how the actors were able to portray their roles, how the characters have affected you through their lines and dialogues, how the costumes of the characters affected the ambiance of the movie, and how the set, and the background music affected the overall quality of the film. Then start jotting down your thoughts.
- When you write, assume that your readers have not yet watched the movie so make it clear and easy to understand. Do not simply focus on the structure of the film, also present your opinion of the movie. The most important thing is, do not spoil the movie. You can at least warn your audience, but do not reveal a twist in the plotline if there’s any. You can provide an overview but keep it succinct.
- In writing the movie review, start from the most general up to the most specific. But don’t just make it informative. You also have to keep it interesting to the readers. When you critique the movie, lay down both facts and opinion. Reason out and give examples. Do not just show why you either like the movie or not because that is what the majority of people think. Also, make your viewpoint memorable.
Aside from good writing skills, writing a movie review also requires a clear voice and a strong opinion. It is a way of expressing your feelings and thoughts towards a certain movie. Your purpose is to help the readers decide whether they want to watch the movie or not. Whether you are reviewing a movie for a school project or just for fun, the tips outlined above on how to write a movie review will surely help you.
Get your original paper!